Search This Blog

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Karate and Palpitations

I had heart palpitations today in karate. It wasn't while we were exercising though, it was after the sensei told us to take a seat so he can tell us something about when to attack. I suppose the sudden depression of my body with the "stress" (as the dumb ass doctor has said) my body was enduring, it had accelerated. I really need to do more research about PSVT; here's a link to those who have absolutely no idea what I'm referring to: http://www.medicinenet.com/paroxysmal_supraventricular_tachycardia_psvt/article.htm

It explains it pretty accurately. I was always worried it might be something like atrial flutter; after all, the only symptom I have is sudden palpitations.

Now that I'm reading about some treatment options for it, I read about "Beta Blockers" which sounded familiar. I think the dumb ass doctor said it would be used as a last resort. She shouldn't have even mentioned it as a resort for me, why can't she just fucking properly diagnose me and give me a holter monitor instead of suggest to me what I might have, tell me a cardiologist won't be necessary, and suggest stupid treatment options like her face. Seriously?

"
  • ·         Beta blockers may cause:
    §  Diarrhea
    §  Nausea
    §  Vomiting
    ·         Rashblurred visionmuscle cramps, and fatigue also may occur.
    ·         As an extension of their beneficial effect, they slow heart rate, reduce blood pressure, but may cause heart failure or heart block in patients with heart problems.
    ·         Beta blockers should not be withdrawn suddenly because sudden withdrawal may worsen angina (chest pain) and cause heart attacks or sudden death.
    ·         Central nervous system effects of beta blockers include:
    §  Headache
    §  Confusion
    §  Dizziness
    §  Hallucinations
    ·         Beta blockers that block β2 receptors may cause shortness of breath in asthmatics.
    ·         As with other drugs used for treating high blood pressure, sexual dysfunction may occur." (retrieved from http://www.medicinenet.com/beta_blockers/article.htm#what_are_the_side_effects_of_beta_blockers, 2014)
    I guess unless I'm in pain, then I'll never ever take something with this many side effects.

    Seriously ridiculous!

     ...

    On a totally unrelated note, I smacked a man's butt in karate today with the back of my fist. No, I did NOT mean it! What's even more awkward is that I know him, and he's a professor in my university, so he attends the dojo I go to during the school year. Augh, so awkward and so gross. SO GROSS, I hope I forget the feeling. I also partnered up with this scrawny blonde girl with thick glasses in karate today. I thought she'd be a wimp, but she actually kept punching me straight in the stomach when we were doing our punches. I don't think she understands that in karate, you are not supposed to purposely hurt your opponent during practice. We practice distancing and control, but no! She punched me in the stomach or arm (since I was like, fuck this, I'm blocking your path). Her punches didn't hurt a lot, but when your punched in the same place repeatedly, it doesn't feel too great! I really find her annoying, I don't usually pass judgment on people so quickly, but I really don't fancy her. Furthermore, she also kept doing the punches based on speed rather than precision. Don't get me wrong, it pumps me up with adrenaline when the routine of the punches are broken, but that's just it; she didn't break the routine of her punches. She kept her punches at a steady pace, but did not leave any gap or time between her punches. It felt weird, all I was doing is swinging my arm back and forth to block her punches in a routine, and quick pace. that way, I wasn't enjoying the sparring feeling, nor was I even blocking correctly.

    Augh, not the best karate class I've had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment