Search This Blog

Monday, June 10, 2013

A New Friend

Today when I went to the gym, a woman walked in, and I flat out told her that she scared me. The gym is usually vacant, and I had my ear phones in, and ever since that incident with that man, I have been edgy. So, when i saw her reflection on the marble wall I stopped running and poked my head behind the little wall and probably scared her as well.
Later when I was done with my workout and as I was heading to the door. She complimented my body and asked if it's that way from exercise. I think I crushed her when I flat out said no. We talked a little, it turns out she's new to kuwait, and she was in Lebanon. She's newly married and shes 21. She's trying to apply for masters, and I told her I'm a first year in university in NS, Canada. She even told me what apartment she lives in, and i told her which story im in. She told me back in Lebanon whenever someone new drops by, the whole building comes over and asks and talks to them and welcomes them. Arabic hospitality I suppose. She said in here, everyone is to themselves, that she got excited to meet me, since the gym is usually empty too ( hence why I got a little scared earlier on).
I told mom about this, and she told me that it's always been that way, it's just in here people are more to themselves for some reason.
I'll call the girl "Ree"
Ree didn't recognize my dialogue, she said I spoke some of this and that. maybe she never had a Palestinian friend before. I noticed that i didn't speak too well though. I'm not sure, I kept trying to speak in Arabic, but all my thoughts were in English. when i did try to speak in arabic, it was the proper arabic and that's a little awkward. Maybe when im more comfortable around her ill loosen up.
Maybe we will motivate each other to the gym.
Also, Dad was on t.v. tonight! I saw it, he was talking for 30 secs on the news. It was really cool, he looked pretty good on screen too. I'm so proud of dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment