Search This Blog

Monday, July 8, 2013

Happy Ramadan!!!

After tomorrow is the first day of ramadan, and I'm anxious about it because before it ends I'll be going back to Canada. that's when the studying starts!

I can't believe I ate three hours ago and now I'm hungry, I'm gonna die tomorrow. It's still fun to fast though. I like ramadan because we get to fast together, eat together, and all the community gets to go through the same suffering of holding back. And although it's a little hypocritical to do, the muslim community seems to improve it's morals in that month. They try to abstinent from cussing and they try to lose any attitude, and men try to gaze away from the ladies, and the ladies try to improve their wardrobe by covering more, and putting less makeup on. It's a beautiful thing that I wish muslims do throughout the year instead of for one month only.
Fasting is also good for oneself. Morally, it teaches discipline and patience. It also teaches compassion for those less fortunate. one simply can't look at a person to understand what they're going through, one has to get a little taste, a reminder of what it's like. I think it's really great, that way the rich wont forget the poor. One also starts to appreciate the little things like the meaning of a loaf of bread after a long day of nothing. People often share afterwards, share meals and donate clothing and money.
It is similar to a new year's resolution I suppose. People often try to improve themselves in this month.
Physically, I think it's also good for the body, if one doesn't pig out at night, because i think it cleanses one's system. No smoking, no drinking, no eating for about 15 hours. This should get rid of any toxics in the system, and should act as a new page for a new way of eating.
Spiritually, it's a month to focus more on the relationship between oneself and God. The ajr , the result of a good deedis doubled or tripled in this month. People race to the masjids, to pray more.People try to do as many charitable things as they can. People try to finish reading the whole Quran in one month, I'm one of those. It's sad that I've abandoned it for the whole year, because I'm too busy with myself and doing the things I want and too busy with my life and my studies. I'm going to try to read it more thoroughly and finish it all this month.

What's sad in ramadan, is that people don't understand this is how muslims should be all year. You don't have to be starving so that you're heart would soften. Muslims should be donating and giving through out the year, and keeping in touch with God through out the year.
Perhaps some do, but personally, I know I can be a better muslim.

No comments:

Post a Comment